Thursday 10 October 2013

The big idea!

The genre
I love strategy games and especially tower defence games. At school we played the popular 'Bloons tower defence' for hours on end and since then I've been hooked. The problem with the genre however is that there are many sub-par clones and mimics making gameplay boring and repetitive.

My Inspiration
Sanctum was the first game that I'd seen someone take a fresh approach  to the genre and I was amazed. However, my primary source of inspiration for my game is Dude and Zombies which can be found here. Although it's not strictly part of the tower defence genre it certainly felt like it was. My final source of inspiration came from playing TD 2 here. It offers the interesting game dynamic of being able to buy back 'lives' and that's where my idea comes in!

Outline
The game I'm going to create puts you in the role of Billy, a typical chubby kid eating burgers and sweets at the fun fair. Billy enters a burger eating contest where he must try to eat as many of the mountain of burgers as possible located in the centre of the map. However standing in his way are the swarm of insects and bugs that get attracted to the event. The player must try to eat as many of the X amount of burgers whilst squashing or hitting his insect rivals, that or he dies before the burgers are all gone.

Actor types 
In my game there will be three actor types; the player, the enemies and the objective. I want to keep the actors as simple as possible as I will be designing all of the animations. Therefore I have narrowed it down to three enemies; the fly (average moving speed will eat the burgers but not attack players), the maggot (slow moving lots of health, will eat burgers but not attack players) and the Hornet (moves fast, wont eat burgers but will attack players)

Game Dynamics

Victory Conditions
-The player is not given a time limit, however once the burgers have all been eaten its game over.
-The player has X amount of health and once that spent it's game over.

Enemies
-I haven't had a chance to play around with enemy spawning just yet, however I want to spawn the enemies from the left and right of the scene at a gradual progressive rate.
-It will take me some time to play around with what kind of enemy will spawn when however I will not be using a wave system.

Objective
-There will be a mountain of burgers in the middle of the map with a health bar or NoOfBurgers. As the player consumes the burgers the mountain will become less and less until it is no more.

Scene dynamics
-The camera will follow the player as they move left to right.

Additional Features
-I am considering making two different modes for the game; one which is endless, so the player can effectively buy back burgers to get a greater score.

So this is the basic idea of my game, over the coming days I will begin to flesh it out even more as I fully understand what Stencyl is/isn't capable of. Generally though I think it is a very exciting project!


No comments:

Post a Comment